Stateside or Worldwide We Have You Covered.
Case Studies: Real Life Examples of how these Plans Offer Protection
Most people know how travel protection coverage works. If your trip gets delayed or canceled, you can be reimbursed for the loss of expenses, but not many know how Travel or Global Medical Insurance works and what exactly it does. Below are some real life examples of how these policies helped save members from huge financial loss and offered a peace of mind during difficult times.
Case Study #1
- Location: Cusco, Peru — the location of Machu Picchu, believed to be a sacred site for Inca leaders in the 16th century. Machu Picchu is located approximately 8,000 feet above sea level, and is a popular travel destination.
- Medical Situation: Light headed with serious difficulty breathing
- Diagnosis: Altitude Sickness
- Action: 60 year old member suddenly became dizzy, light headed and was gasping for breath. The member was taken and admitted to the Clinica San Jose, a 70 bed hospital contracted with GeoBlue. Direct settlement for his medical expenses was arranged, so there were no out of pocket expenses for the member. A member of GeoBlue’s medical team consulted with the member’s treating physician. Both doctors determined that the only way for the member’s health to improve was to get the member to a lower altitude immediately; his symptoms were being caused by altitude sickness.
- Outcome: Geo-Blue worked with local partners to arrange an air ambulance transfer and secure an admission at a facility in Lima, Peru where the highest altitude is 1,600 feet. Ground transportation was arranged for a comfortable transfer of the patient while in Cusco and Lima. Transportation expenses were prepaid by GeoBlue, and covered under the policy. The member was admitted to the Clinica Anglo Americana in Lima, also a GeoBlue contracted facility. He was released after 2 days when his symptoms resolved.
Cost for medical expenses in Peru: $11,000.00
Cost of transportation: $11,500.00
Total Incurred Expenses: $22,500.00
Premium paid for Single Trip Plan: $349.00
Case Study #2
Location: Nimes, France. member from Arizona was in southern France on vacation with spouse; they were touring important architecture from the Roman Empire.
Product Purchased: Multi Trip
- Medical Situation: While attempting to take a photograph, member fell off a ledge, suffering a severe fracture to leg and was taken immediately by ground ambulance to a public acute facility nearby, the Hôpital Universitaire Carémeau in Nimes.
- Diagnosis: Broken femur, with severe ligament tears.
- Action: Due to the acute nature of the injury, immediate surgery and rod insertion to repair the break is recommended. GeoBlue’s medical assistance team screens and approves for appropriateness of care. GeoBlue arranges direct billing at the hospital to cover the expenses. Following surgery, the patient requires inpatient care for 5 days. GeoBlue monitors the patient’s condition throughout hospital stay.
- Outcome: Once the member is medically cleared to fly, GeoBlue coordinates travel back to the U.S. for both the member and spouse. This coordination includes arranging for upgraded, more comfortable seating and wheelchair assistance.
Medical services in France: $8,100.00
Travel Arrangements: $16,000.00
Total Incurred Expenses: $24,100.00
Premium paid for Multi Trip Plan: $349.00
If you have any questions about these policies, travel health insurance or global health insurance, please give our office a call at Total Benefit Solutions Inc, 215-355-2121 and one of our dedicated health insurance specialists will be happy to help!